[TR] TR4 missing problem (Ignitor followup)

To: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] TR4 missing problem (Ignitor followup)
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 10:08:33 -0600
I'd been having trouble with random missing and power loss over the last
few weeks. The problem progressed from a stumble once or twice on every
trip to the grocery until the car was staggering over the hill to the
neighborhood swimming pool.

I checked the fuel system, battery, and several wires/connectors and
confirmed the problem was still there. Then I looked into the
distributor. I pulled the distributor AND the Pertronix Ignitor
together. I replaced it with a points-equipped distributor from my TR4
project car -- it won't be needing it for a while. After listerati
helped sort my wiring, it started quickly and ran happily.

So the stumbling and power problem was either the distributor or the
Ignitor -- sorry I can't say which. It looks like I'd been remiss in
oiling the distributor as it had some light rust in the guts, but the
failure was also consistent with the Ignitor failures others have
experienced. I should emphasize that the Ignitor was reliable and
maintenance free for 45,000 miles and six years, so I'm not bashing the
unit's performance.

Steven Newell
Littleton, CO USA
'62 TR4 x 2