[TR] TR4 distributor problem

To: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] TR4 distributor problem
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 13:34:39 -0600
I've been chasing a missing/stuttering problem in my TR4 that was
getting worse over a couple weeks. I suspected the Pertonix Ignitor and
on removing it to reinstall points I found the distributor innards
looked a bit rusty -- as if I hadn't oiled it anytime recently. Thinking
it would be a clever shortcut, I switched the entire distributor with
the one in my running project car. Now I can't get my driver to fire
with the replacement distributor.

I think I must have a wire in the wrong place. I'm not especially clever
about electrical things, but I can use a digital camera so here's a
photo of the distributor now in the car. Anyone spot something wrong?
    http://newellboys.com/parts/dist-small.jpg

A CLUE? The ammeter reads slight discharge with I turn the key to
'run.'  When I turn the key to 'start' the engine cranks quickly AND the
ammeter swings to full discharge the back to with every engine rotation.
And no firing at all. The post on the points where the condensor wire
connects becomes very hot. Idea?

Steven Newell
Littleton, CO USA
'62 TR4 x 2