[TR] valve guide controvery was head rebuild advice

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] valve guide controvery was head rebuild advice
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 18:52:18 -0400
Bob,
Back a year or so ago, I asked my engine shop if I ought to install new
valve guides on my new rebuild and they said, "naa".        (Their old
buddies of mine.)

However, I think I am aware of the current controversy about this.  And I
think my engine shop answered me this way cause they didn't believe that
someday I'd be driving my TR3 everyday.  Is this proably the reason why they
answered me the way they did?

At one point I remember insisting that they install them.  But, I don't
think they showed this on the ticket when I finally picked it up a year
later.  Again, they abused their old buddy.  But they had a Moss Catalog
given to them by someone else!

Is there a way I can see the guides with just the valve cover removed?
Maybe the manifold removed?  I remember seeing something new and shiny thru
a manifold.  Certainly, a trained ear couldn't tell could it?

After over a year and a half later, I got my rebuilt engine back and they
only charged me $850 for a complete rebuild so maybe they didn't abuse me
too bad.  I've now installed and run it for about 45 minutes and it sounds
great!   The rest is taking forever... and my brother-in-law won't email me
a picture of my project for me to share!!!!!!

Thanks,
Paul Dorsey
60 TR3A w/ a 4A head (I think)

===     http://www.vtr.org