[TR] hay wire (was: dash wiring) (no LBC)

To: "Terry Smith" <terryrs@adelphia.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] hay wire (was: dash wiring) (no LBC)
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 17:52:31 -0700
> Guess I'll take my best shot, and figure it out if things go hay wire.

Wiring the ammeter backwards just causes it to read backwards.  No big deal, and
easy to fix.  Or, you could do a quick test with a flashlight battery.
Momentarily connect the battery across the ammeter, noting which terminal is
positive, and which way the needle deflects.  If the needle reads charge, then
the terminal corresponding to the ground polarity gets the brown wire.

> What's hay got to do with wire anyway?

Long ago, hay bales were bound with low grade steel wire.  When cut to release
the hay, the wires fly all around and curl up into a mess.  I'm not sure that's
the origin of the word/phrase "haywire", but it seems likely to me.

The use of wire declined after machines that could automatically tie twine were
invented, and it was discovered that the cows were eating bits of wire that
injured them.

Randall

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of TR3A
schematic from Practical Hints FIG 30.JPG]

===     http://www.vtr.org