[TR] brake booster valve question

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] brake booster valve question
From: "Mark Hooper" <mhooper@digiscreen.ca>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 00:10:27 -0400
A very specific question here:

As posted to the list, I have had a recurrence of the "fluttering/clicking"
noise from my brake servo. Following the advice of the list, I pulled off the
barbed fitting from the booster which truly does contain a one-way valve. I
note that the centre peice of the valve is a loose part that, when in place,
does indeed act as a valve stop. However, the piece is completely loose in the
fitting so that when shaken, the whole fitting acts a bit like a castanet. I
also note that the fitting seems discoloured in the barb end and a bit old
looking despite the servo having being rebuilt all of 200 miles ago. This
causes me to wonder if the rebuilder had actually replaced the fitting, or
just the internal diaphragm. I just don't recall thinking he had to replace it
because I did not realise that there was a valve inside.

Anyway, the question:  Is this fitting supposed to be so loose inside? It
seems that a light spring would have solved this fluttering by holding the
"shuttle" in place. I note that there are rebuild kits available that do sell
the valve. Has anybody ever purchased one and do they remember if it rattled
when shaken?

It'a actually pretty easy to pop the fitting off. It is just a ridged ring
with no particular orientation required for removal. I'd love to know what's
up.

I did suck on the thing when installed (ahh the joy of LBC mechanics) and was
able to create a pretty fair vacuum that seemed to stay in place for the 30
seconds or so that I waited to test. That leads me to feel that the new
diaphragm is OK. However the castanet valve surely does make me suspicious.

Mark
1972 TR6

===     http://www.vtr.org