Re: [TR] advice on installing a front swaybar on TR4A

To: Anthony Rhodes <spamiam@comcast.net>,
Subject: Re: [TR] advice on installing a front swaybar on TR4A
From: Jim <cartr4a@ameritech.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2006 07:07:17 -0700 (PDT)
There is a sway bar available for the TR4A and TR250 at Victoria British.  I
put one on my TR4A a few years ago with no problem.

  Here's a link...
  http://www.victoriabritish.com/icatalog/tc/0099.html

  Jim
  '67 TR4A
  '68 GT6
  '73 Spit6
  http://www.geocities.com/britishiron2000

Anthony Rhodes <spamiam@comcast.net> wrote:
  I want to improve the handling on my TR4A. No swaybar is available here in
the US specifically for this model. Many are available for the TR6. But, the
front frame is a little different on the TR6.

I saw the Goodparts 7/8" front swaybar for the TR6. It is beautiful! I
corresponded with Mr. Good, and we both thought that it could fit the 4A
reasonably easily. So, I ordered one.

Well, it is not quite so easy to fit. The arms that run fore-aft are, as
expected, too long. But there is just not enough wiggle room to fit it
properly. The front radiator shield plate has those towing loops which get in
the way, but even then if they were not there, and the bar were attached to
the front of the shield plate as it is in the TR6, then the vertical link is
shifted too far backward on the A-arm.

So, I thought about fabricating some "extensions" to attach to the shield so
that the sway bar can be mounted in the proper relationship to the A-arm. It
appears that it would need to hold the center of the sway bar about 2" forward
of the shield, and the total forward length of the extension would be about
3".

Has anyone come up with a better arrangement to adapt a TR6 bar to the 4A.

I assume that some place like Revington's might have a specific bar for the
4A, but I always find shipping from the UK to be prohibitively expensive and
SLOOOOOW. So, within limits, I would rather adapt to a TR6 bar.

I am on the "digest" for the list, so please CC any reply directly to me too.
Thanks.

-Tony

===     http://www.vtr.org