RE: [TR] tr2 engine problems

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] tr2 engine problems
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 06:00:24 -0700
> i am coming to the end of my restoration of my 55.  it is up and
> running however it overheats quickly even while driving and it
> diesels after i shut it off.

The dieseling may be related to the overheating, so I'd work on overheating
first.  I've always had occasional troubles with dieseling on my TRs, especially
when they are a bit overheated, so I learned long ago to let the clutch out with
the transmission in gear and my foot on the brake, just after turning the key
off.

>  This is a rebuilt engine and i have had
> it running and driving but not for very long.  i have checked the
> timing and set it to 8 degrees

Although that shouldn't be a problem, I'm curious why 8 degrees when the spec is
4, and how you measured the 8 degrees.  Have you checked that the mechanical
advance is working ?  How much spark scatter do you have ?

Does it idle at the proper rpm ?  Smoothly ?

> and have gone over the float bowls a jets in the carburetors to
> try to stop the dieseling but with no luck.

Have the jets and needles been replaced ?  If you lift the carb pistons to the
top, do they fall quickly and smoothly, landing with a distinct click ?

> As for the over heating i have newer non-sleeved thermostat in
> it

Hoo boy, here we go again !  I have always used non-sleeved thermostats in my
TR3As, and although I've certainly fought overheating problems, they've always
been eventually traced to something besides the thermostat.  Some experiments
with partially and fully blocking the bypass convinced me that the difference is
too small to measure.

But I'm sure you will hear from others with different experiences.

> and it is a new radiator and water pump for moss. i don't know if
> any one has had problems with new cooling equipment from them. any ideas?

If all else fails, take the radiator to a radiator shop and ask them to test it
for efficiency.  That proved to be my problem on the last go-round with
overheating on my TR3A.  But I'm sure you hate pulling the apron as much as I
do, so try all the other stuff first.  The time before that (on a different
TR3A), it turned out to be worn carburetor jets.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org