[TR] Spitfire differential rebuild

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Spitfire differential rebuild
From: "Tim Gaines" <mtgaines@mail.presby.edu>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 11:16:36 -0400
Yesterday I dismantled my Spitfire differential with the idea of: (1)
learning something, and (2) maybe fixing the slop and noise I've been
experiencing for a couple of years.  So far, the learning is going
well, and the fixing part is not out of the question (the crown and
pinion gears look pretty good).  But I do have some questions for the
experts out there.

It is obvious that the two side output shaft bearings are shot.  The
others look okay.  I'm thinking that while I am in there I should
replace all the bearings though.  That will add only about $75 to the
cost of parts (not much compared to the cost of a remanufactured diff
from one of the catalogs so I'm not too upset about this), but I don't
really want to do something that isn't necessary.  What is your advice
here?

I priced the parts in both the Victoria British and Moss catalogs.  VB
is consistently lower.  I don't want to start anything here, but am I
likely to get equal quality from both?  In all honesty, just looking at
the parts available, VB looks better.  They have a variety of shims,
washers, and thrust washers that Moss doesn't list.

I already have new oil seals in hand (purchased from a local shop last
year when I first thought I would attempt this), but the pinion oil
seal is entirely hard rubber without the metal casing like the one I
removed from the diff yesterday.  Did I get the real thing in a new
style that really works, or should I order another one?

Finally, I noticed that VB has a CD available which claims to include
original parts catalogs and workshop manuals in pdf format, all for
only $29.95.  I particularly want to get the Bently manual, but the
description in the VB catalog doesn't specifically mention Bently.
 Anyone seen this CD and have some feedback for me?

Thanks for any help you can provide.  This list has gotten me through
years of various repairs, and this one is probably the toughest I have
tried.

Tim
Clinton, SC
1980 Spit