[TR] Oil Pressure when 'hot'

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Oil Pressure when 'hot'
From: staffel@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 17:57:11 +0000
Hi All! Had the TR4 out last week for the CTR BOG show. 158 miles RT for us.
The morning was 'crisp' in the low 50's and afternoon return was in the mid
60's.

Even on 95^ summer days I have very high start up oil pressure.- 90-100#. Once
'HOT' in the summer it may run at 25#. Engine  Lower end  rebuilt in 1978. Did
rings then too, Cyl Head checked 5 years ago, maybe 20,000 miles since rebuild.
Total mileage 158,000.

So on this 'crisp' 4-30-2006 top never up morning- after 50 miles on I-295 at
65mph  the oil pressure was steady at 40#.

On my Jensen Interceptor with 88,000 miles on the big cramed in Chrysler 440- I
will run 50# oil presssure when OAT is 60^; 40# at 70^OAT but 25# when OAT's
are in the 90's-100^.

On the Jensen, The idiot light is a std Chrysler  7# oil pressure switch. The
Gauge is british and a special adapter was used by Jensen. oil pressure 'builds
up- not up and then lower as on the TR. Chrysler said as long as the light is
off-there is sufficient oil circulation.. So ANYTHING over 7# will cool and
lube those bearings. You can't get more heat than in a Chrysler 440Don't worry
about 20# or greater when above idle.  All you need is 'flow'. I change oil
every year as I usually only do 1,000-1,500 miles a year on most of the
collector cars.
Sherman Taffel
Columbia MD
last TR4 known to still exist