RE: [TR] new gas formulation?

To: "Jay Fishbein" <type79@ix.netcom.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] new gas formulation?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 17:54:53 -0700
> What about the ethanol causing degradation of rubber parts? Is
> this going to
> effect my diphragms or fuel lines? A flier I picked up at the
> local station
> said that this may be a problem with older cars.

Depends on where you live, perhaps.  Here in California, the stuff we've
been burning for years (MTBE, etc.) is worse than ethanol, so pretty much
everyone has already had to replace anything that is susceptible.

IMO soft fuel lines should be replaced every few years anyway, so hopefully
you've already taken care of that (new soft lines have been resistant for a
long time).  If you do have original or NOS fuel diaphragms, that could be a
problem.  I think it was about 5 years ago that Burlen put a notice on their
web site that all their replacement SU diaphragms were resistant, but there
were no doubt some still left on shelves that were not.

I certainly got a NORS AC diaphragm that did not stand up to CA fuel ... and
the original AC diaphragm in my motorhome generator turned to goo.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org