RE: Hypothetical Distributor Question

To: "Kurtis Jones" <tr4driver@gmail.com>,
Subject: RE: Hypothetical Distributor Question
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 17:16:39 -0800
> Am I correct that with the 41271 distributor that the timing would be
> over advanced (from factory spec anyway) at higher RPMs by 5 degrees?

Only if the static timing is set the same.  Also, it's not certain whether that
is crankshaft degrees or camshaft (distributor) degrees, but probably it is the
latter.

> Is that enough to cause significant problems?

It _might_, and the potential for damage is high.  But it might be worth a try.
I'd suggest listening very carefully for knock around 3500 rpm with the engine
fully warm and the throttle wide open.  Then back off the initial timing by
about 2 degrees, just to be safe.

OTOH, your TRactor motor may well reject the transplant from a MG, and just
refuse to run at all <g>

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org