re: want a TR4A IRS

To: triumphs@autox.team.net (Triumphs List), david.randall@shaw.ca
Subject: re: want a TR4A IRS
From: spamiam@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 20:57:33 +0000
>I really want to get into local vintage rallying, and I want a car built on or
>before Dec. 31st '67, so it'll be elegible for the larger rally's rules
>(including Targa Newfoundland). I've read that a few TR4As were built in '68.

I know a little about vintage rallying.  What you need is a little variable
depending on exactly what you mean by "rallying" .  If you mean the type where
you drive flat out on poor roads, then the 4A may not be the car for the job.
If you are doing brisk driving (i.e. Targa Newfoundland) or simply the safe TSD
driving, then Maybe (Targa), or Yes (TSD).

Wire wheels are not up to the stresses of any "brisk" driving.

The CAR is not up to the abuse of ProRally.

I am loosely part of a Vintage ProRally team
(http://www.redmistrallysport.com/).  This car is much more capable of handling
the abuse of rough terrain.

I would consider a TR4 instead of a 4A because of the stronger frame design.
Even the 4A solid axle still has the weak narrow waist in the frame.

If you really want a 4A's looks, then retrofit the front fenders and the 4A top
on a TR4 bodyshell and frame.

If you want to WIN, then forget 2WD.  The 4WD 400 hp cars will always win.
Forget winning the 2WD class as well.  You can not compete against the mustangs
and similar. (ProRally)

If you want the fun of rallying, then any car will do, but avoid expensive and
delicate cars in ProRally.

-Tony

===     http://www.vtr.org