RE: Distributor Vacuum Advance Check

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Distributor Vacuum Advance Check
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 17:02:10 -0800
> I'm testing the vacuum advance unit on my TR3A distributor with a Mity-Vac.
> When I apply vacuum, the advance moves the distributor plate, but it only
> holds  vacuum for a brief moment. How well or how long should it hold vacuum
> before  letting go?

Unlike some modern cars, there is no deliberate leak.  A small leak won't affect
operation very much, but a large one will (especially with that small diameter
tubing to the front carb).  So I'd say it should hold vacuum for at least a few
seconds.

However, I've found it difficult sometimes to get a good connection with a
MityVac, so you might try to investigate where the leak is.  If you've just
jammed a hose over the threads on the advance unit (assuming you have a threaded
unit), the threads may leak.  Even the push-on fitting may leak, if the hose
isn't a snug fit over it.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org