Re: Ridiculous TR4 questions againRidiculous TR4 questions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ridiculous TR4 questions againRidiculous TR4 questions
From: AMfoto1@aol.com
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 06:43:45 EST
Hi Randy,
   Happy Turkey Day to you, too!
   We all ask our share of ridiculous questions so you needn't worry!
   From your description, I think you got a very good deal on that TR4 and
it's likely in more restorable condition than it might appear at first glance.
Rocker and floor replacements are very common and not all that big a deal.
Interior replacement isn't a major thing, either. I'd really hate to see what
sounds like a pretty good car get split up and sold off on eBay. (On the other
hand, each TR4 that gets auctioned off in pieces helps make mine a little more
valuable!) Several nicely restored TR4s - not 95+ point show cars - have
recently sold for over $19,000. You have a bit of a head start, because you
bought
your car relatively inexpensively.
   You need first to decide what's your goal: a show car that sees little use
or a daily driver for fun, or something in between. Then set up a restoration
plan. There is an older book entitled "Restoring British Sports Cars" that
can help with the planning stage. Roger Williams' "Restoring TR4 & 4A" is a
more
specific resource. Bill Piggott's "Original TR4 & 4A" is very useful if
originality is the goal. A factory service manual and factory spare parts
catalog
are invaluable. Also, free catalogs from Moss and Victoria British are quite
useful. With respect to the books mentioned, I suggest Amazon, Barnes & Noble,
etc., and *not* eBay. Prices on the auction site for these books are usually
not all that good.
    By the way, both Moss and The Roadster Factory offer restorer's
discounts, where you pay a $100 or so for a year's membership, then get regular
disounts on all your purchases, plus some other perks. Might  be worth checking
out.
   Lastly, if you want to keep the car original, I'd suggest getting a BMIHT
build certificate for your car, available at
http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/archive/certificate/default.htm
   I really can't say if you should get the 2nd TR4 or not, only you can be
the judge of that! It really depends on so many factors, and the price &
condition of the car, of course.
   By the way, where are you located? Someone here might be in the same area
or just know of local resources you might find helpful, or someone might even
be willing to take a look at one or both cars with you. On a similar note, a
local Triumph owners club might be a great resource, too.
   Cheers!
   Alan Myers
   San Jose, Calif.
   AMfoto1@aol.com
   '62 TR4 CT17602L

I just bought a TR4 with the intent on restoring - right now after pricing
out stuff I think I may have bitten off a little more than I want to chew.
   By bizarre luck, I also just found a 2nd TR4 nearby ...Both TR4s together
would make an fantastic combination - but I'm not sure if  I will able to
stuff them both in the garage and keep my wife happy ...So my question is this:

If heaven forbid, I decided to part out the first can I easily get my money
back?

===     http://www.vtr.org