GT6 reply

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: GT6 reply
From: "JONATHAN MOODY" <themoody5@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 21:10:40 -0500
I tried posting this before but I have seen it come across - sorry if it's a
dup-

Roger,

What are you going to have done to your engine.  As you may have seen, I am
hust starting to tear down a TR6 engine I have.  Its amazing how
shipwright's disease sets in.  At first I was thinking I was going to try
and rebuild the lower end of my spare motor cause the one in my driver is
getting a little tired.  Now I find my self wondering about fast street
cams, cam bearings and redoing the head on my spare engine.  The last part
is nuts cause I just had the head redone in my driver with hardened seats,
refurbished rocker shaft etc. The head on my '73 eengine has headers. Still
though the thought of a ported head with roller rockers sounds nice.  So
here is a questions for the list - what mods are really worth it for the
average TR6/GT6 driver?  I mean, I'll probably never have my car on the race
track or anything close.  Weekend driving and the occassional drive to work
is probably all I'll use it for.  Here is what I know I will do:
Basic lower end rebuild - new bearings, oil pump, cylinders if needed, new
rings, etc - basic stuff to give me a new engine that is close to stock.

Here is what I'm thinking about
1. fast street cam and lifters
2. cam bearings - is it worth it?
3. having the 71 head done, ported etc (can it (porting) be done by someone
who's never done anything like it before and is it worth it?
4. Roller rockers same thing is it worth the 600-700 price tag?

Its amazing how this stuff snowballs!  Now I'm thinking about repainting! -
Help!

===     http://www.vtr.org