RE: Nokof Spinners for original Minilites

To: neal.mugherini@verizon.net
Subject: RE: Nokof Spinners for original Minilites
From: Nicholas Wolf <nwolf@u.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 16:28:58 -0800 (PST)
Hi Neal
   Threaded aftermarket knock-off spinners commonly found on eBay will fit your
right-hand wheels, although the threads are a little loose.  Also, the "RIGHT
SIDE   <- OFF" text is missing.  The text can be added by an engraver.
   I have a right-hand Nokof that I could sell you.  It's got a small scratch
on one ear and some light pitting, but no cracks or bends.  I'll send you a
photo.

   By the way, your wheels are not actually Minilites.  They are something
better.  :)
   True Minilites were introduced in 1962 or 1963 for the Austin Mini and later
diversified into other fitments.  But they became so popular that the name is
now often used to refer to ANY cast 8-spoke wheel.  The optional 8-spoke
Triumph wheels were actually made by American Racing Equipment and are known as
"Silverstones."  The early ones (like yours) have centers threaded for LH and
RH Nokofs.  Minilites are flat in the middle and take caps instead of Nokofs.
   I've long suspected that Silverstones came first... and yours, if they were
truly original on your 1960 TR3A, confirm this!

-Nick

P.S. I have two more spare Nokofs (one LH, one RH) with cracked or bent ears.
They could be fixed by a good chrome shop with experience in pot metal repair,
but I'm not going to bother with it since I've finally found an undamaged set
to keep.  If anybody's interested, let me know and I'll send photos.

===     http://www.vtr.org