RE: TR4 overdrive problem

To: "triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4 overdrive problem
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 15:53:58 -0800
> This isn't my problem (my overdrive is working again) but I know someone
> with a TR4 who is having problems with overdrive engaging, but only on
> 4th. It operates normally on all the other gears. Is there anything
> specific that might cause the overdrive to NOT engage with in 4th?

Almost has to be an electrical problem, most likely with the 3-4 isolator
switch.  The adjustment must be on the hairy edge (or the switch is coming
loose/apart), and for whatever reason, the ramp on the shift fork is
slightly lower on the 4th gear side.  Probably best to plan on replacing the
switch, then adjust the new one as required.

If this was one of the cars with the OD control switch in the shift knob,
I'd suspect a broken wire or bad connection to the switch.  But since the
TR4 control switch is on the steering column, it seems unlikely that's the
problem.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org