Re: TR4 hi-torque starter problem: the answer

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 hi-torque starter problem: the answer
From: "J.C. Hassall" <jhassall@blacksburg.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 20:38:59 -0800
To summarize my problem, the hi-torque starter I installed doesn't
disengage after spinning the engine.  I haven't fired the engine yet,
but am testing all the bits as I reassemble the drive train (yeah, I'm A.R.).

The solution: the starter has a helical gear which twists the pinion
as it pops into the ring gear.  Makes sense.  If the pinion didn't
twist as it engaged, it might not engage the ring gear and simply
push against the edge.   Anyway, after turning the engine (bear in
mind: the engine hasn't spun up), the pinion stayed firmly engaged
with the flywheel.  However, by simulating engine spin-up by rotating
the flywheel CCW just a smidgeon, the pinion immediately disengaged.

So, tnx to all who responded.  The "problem" wasn't a problem after
all.  All I needed to have done was simulate the engine spinning up,
instead of assuming the worst.

Jim

--
Jim Hassall
'64 TR4 in autox prep: 90% finished, 90% to go

===     http://www.vtr.org