RE: TR3 Tranny question

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 Tranny question
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 17:10:58 -0800
> I'm putting my 73,xxx tranny back together and  the manual and it
> says to put the washers, 2nd and 3rd gear bushes and the original
> infamous circlip on and then check for play. I've don't that a couple
> of times and there is not enough play with the new 2nd gear bush. The
> original 2nd gear bush was broken.  Now the manual does not say where
> to remove material to get to specs on the play. There are several
> choices but I lean toward removing a small amount of material from
> either the small end of the 2nd gear bush(new bush) or the 3rd gear
> bush original. Has anyone BTDT or if not, any suggestions?

Each of the bushes has to still fit it's respective gear with enough end
float.  Assuming that is right, then to increase the float on the shaft, you
need to reduce one of the washers.  ISTR the side towards the circlip is the
one to reduce, but I could be mistaken on that point.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org