Spark Plug Heat Range

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Spark Plug Heat Range
From: John Mitchell <jmitch@snet.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 22:24:08 -0500
    I noticed that Bentley calls for UN12Y  Champion plugs in early(pre
73)  TR6's and N9Y in later cars.  Is the hotter plug called for because
of the higher compression ratio of the earlier cars?  If so, then since
my cars compression has been raised and a hotter cam installed, should I
also go to the hotter plug.  I do notice black soot when I get the
mixture rich enough to really make it Idle nicely.  I'm also concerned
that a hotter plug may cause knocking and do engine damage.  What have
you guys with modified engines been using.   Thanks in advance.   John
Mitchell 76 TR6

===     http://www.vtr.org