Re: shortening mounting bolts

To: dorpaul@negia.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: shortening mounting bolts
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 08:09:33 EST
In a message dated 10/31/2005 7:56:58 PM Central Standard Time,
dorpaul@negia.net writes:
> After using a body mounting kit and grade 8 nuts and bolts (procurred from
> hdware store) is it ok to cut the excess bolt length off with an appropriate
> electric saw?  I suppose cutting them close to their nyloc nuts in order to
> give the car maximum ground clearence?

The length of bolt extending beyond the nut adds no strength to the fastener
at all so cutting it off will have no detrimental effects.  But Grade 8
hardware are quite hard and it will be slow going.  It can also generate enough
heat
to melt the nylon insert in the nyloc nuts.  A preferred method would be to
determine the length you need and cut them off before installing the nut.

But if they are already installed you can do this with an electric saw if you
go slow and use cutting oil and taking care to keep the temperature low.
Your blade will last longer, too.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org