Windshield Professional Install

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Windshield Professional Install
From: "Terry Smith" <terryrs@adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 19:09:01 -0400
Hello, everyone.

I decided to take Terri Wakefield's excellent advice, and took my TR3A
windshield to a professional installer.  I did get two bids on it.  One said
"about $100."  The other said, "$50 an hour."

I thought, how complicated can it be for professionals?  ...So I took the
hourly rate.

Ahah.

It took three guys an hour to fight the thing in, and then they had to give up
on the rubber seal I'd gotten from Moss, which they told me was as thin as
they've seen.  Instead, they used some sealing material they keep on hand.
This left the bottom part of the frame obviously loose, so I made them run a
bead of black caulking--very nicely done, I have to say--along the bottom edge
as a precaution.

Now, someone on the list wondered if getting their windshield frame back from
the chromers changed the specs on the install enough to make the repro seals
not work.  I can't say.  But Terri was right.  It was worth the money, because
I'm here in my study drinking a Dos Equis and writing to you all, with a
finished windshield in my cellar work area behind me, instead of broken glass
and a recent order for replacement.

Go Red Sox!  NY Yankees suck exhaust pipes.

Terry Smith
'59 TR3A  TS 58667
New Hampshire