Starter update #3 -- where do I make the offering to the Gods

To: Randall <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Subject: Starter update #3 -- where do I make the offering to the Gods
From: Andrew Frink <tr4@drooartz.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 21:06:41 -0600
Really, of course, this isn't Lucas' fault, since I'm dealing with a
non-Lucas alternator. Much continuing thanks to Randall and y'all for
all the suggestions.

On Sep 19, 2005, at 11:14 AM, Randall wrote:

> Did you try checking the output voltage right at the alternator,
> with the
> engine at fast idle

I checked the voltage with hot test lead on BATT, ground test lead to
the case of the alternator. with car idling, voltage read 13 volts.
Up the idle a bit, and I got those little pulses again. Voltage went
to maybe 13.5 volts, at about 1 second intervals.

I repeated the same test with the test leads to the + and - posts on
the battery and got essentially the same thing. I did a quick
continuity check from the alternator case to the battery ground
cable, and it was a strong, quick signal.

I now maybe suspect either something fishy in the alternator, or in
the connector (little white plug for #1 and #2 on the alternator). It
seems to me to be a bit loose on there. I'm trying to source another
one to re-wire into the system to eliminate that as the possible bad
spot.

One other thought. Could the PO have missed something in the switch
to - ground? Might that have an effect?

-Drew
at least it starts right up now, with a charged battery--hey, it's
something! :-)

--
Andrew Frink
Salt Lake City, UT