RE: Gymkahana VS funkahana

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Gymkahana VS funkahana
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 17:04:05 -0700
> A Gymkhana, is sometimes timed, but
> not always. It almost always requires a navigator. It is designed to test
> the agility of the sports car, plus the teamwork of the navigator/driver
> combination.
><
> A Funkhana is very similar if not the same as a Gymkhana and as far as I
> know is only used to describe a traditional Gymkhana-like event at
> Triumphest, I have no idea why the name change!

The name change is to indicate a change in emphasis towards having fun
rather than competing.  Portions of the funkhana frequently have little or
nothing to do with the agility of the sports car or the teamwork of the
driver/navigator combination.  In fact, many of them resemble "midway"
events at the county fair !  Things like squirting water through a hole, or
throwing old piston rings at Coke bottles are common.

The Funkhana at TRfest really is to satisfy the requirement of participating
in at least one driving event (to be eligible for the funcours competition),
without having to actually drive your trailer queen on public roads.  IMHO
of course (which may or may not reflect the opinions of the clubs doing the
event).

Randall