Re: Tools and fluids

To: "Andrew Frink" <drewfrink@mac.com>, "triumphs"
Subject: Re: Tools and fluids
From: "Kurtis" <tr4driver@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 14:11:04 -0500
Andrew,

Here's what limited help/comments I'm able to offer...

> 1. I need a grease gun. What should I look for?

I'm curious as to what others have to offer here as well, since I'm not
happy the the cheap-o grease gun I have.

> 2. I've got Joe's square drain plug tool, but was wondering if there  is a
> socket available for these square plugs. I was taught to use a  torque
> wrench on drain plugs, so a socket to fit would be nice.

I can't help much here, since I always just use an adjustable wrench on my
drain plugs.

> 3. I need some sort of oil pump/filler for transmission and rear end.  Any
> recommendations?

I bought a hand pump at Napa that fits into a standard gear oil container.
I think it was 7 or 8 bucks.  It works great!

> 4. Any other special/maintenance tools nice? I've seen SU carb tool
> kits--are these worthwhile?

I bought one of the SU carb kits from Moss.  The only item I ever use out of
it is the small wrench used to turn the mixture nuts.

> My last set of questions is about fluids.
>
> 1. Engine? The shop manual lists all sorts of options.

I'm sure you'll receive lots of varied responses here.  I use Castrol
20w-50w and have never had any problems (though I know others claim to have
had problems with Castrol).

> 2. Gearbox (OD) -- Done some reading here, and 30wt non-detergent  seems
> to be a decent choice here. Rear end fluid?

I don't know about the OD gearbox (since I don't have one).  I use Sta-Lube
brand hypoid 85W90 GL-4 gear oil in my transmission and differential.  It's
about the only GL-4 gear oil I can find locally (at O'Riley's).

> 3. SU dashpots -- engine oil? Motorcycle fork oil? I've seen thoughts  on
> both.

I've always heard that you should go with what's in your engine (perhaps
because it's readily available?).

> 4. Once I get a grease gun, I need grease. Types?

Hmmm... I think a good quality mult-puprose gease would work in most cases.
However, I'll bow to the experts here.  In fact, if there's any dispute with
any of my other comments, I'll likewise bow to the experts. ;)

> Is there a good site that already lists all of this?
>
> Thanks in advance for the help. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with
> this project, so have decided to start with basics of oil/fluid  changes,
> greasing, and such.

You're questions have left me a little overwhelmed now as well.  I'm
thinking perhaps I should start spending a little more time under my car
with a grease gun, and not depend so much on the various oil leaks to keep
things lubricated underneath. <grin>

Good luck!

Kurtis Jones
Russellville, Arkansas