Re: OT: Little British Van help request

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: OT: Little British Van help request
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 17:06:32 +0100
On Fri, 5 Aug 2005, at around 08:50:01 local time, ZinkZ10C@aol.com
wrote:
>In a message dated 8/5/05 5:35:52 AM Eastern Daylight Time, OC@46thFoot.com
>writes:
>
><< Does anyone here happen to know the rating of this fusible
> link? >>
>

>Fuse links are rated by wire size, there might be a amp rating listed
>somewhere but I have not seen it.  Fuse links are more reliable than
>insert fuses and
>are generally installed in main circuits where there "use" is infrequent.
>
>In the US replacement links are available, I suspect they can be gotten at a
>auto parts store near you.

Dear Harold,

Thanks for that, but the same appears not to be the case in UK.   My
local parts supplier (the professional one, not Halford's) tells me that
these things are main-dealer parts, and that there are no generic
aftermarket versions available - hence the need to replace it with a
cartridge fuse.

>Also check the alternator for output one you have made repairs, reverse
>current will pop the diodes.

I have to admit that the van is currently running - with a length of
wire from the flex of a Hoover in place of the fusible link.   There's
been no sign of the alternator being U/S, although I haven't actually
put a meter on it.   Fingers crossed that she got away with it...

ATB
--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FH105671