RE: filling is draining me

To: "TR List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: filling is draining me
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 19:41:39 -0700
> Somehow or when the side fill plug on my TR6's transmission got so tightly
> wedged it isn't real. I'm just trying to change the gearbox oil. Every wrench
> I've got just keeps slipping. Is there a special trick to this? A square
> wrench?

You can get a square wrench ... there's a fellow on eBay that sells them from
time to time although I don't recall his handle offhand.

Or what I like, an 8-point socket from Sears.

Once it's out (and you've spent all that money on wrenches <g>), I'd recommend
replacing it with a hex socket pipe plug.  And Teflon pipe dope on the threads.

>  No luck, the gearbox isn't vented

Something wrong with this picture, the gearbox has to be vented.  If it's not
vented, then the pressure that builds up when it gets hot will force oil out the
seals.

> I wonder if I can loosen some bolt (reverse gear pivot seems
> accessible

If memory serves, that would be a mistake.

> and make an air outlet.

Can you get to a top cover bolt ?

> Do those rubber universal pan bolts (with the pull-over lever) work for the
> transmission filling hole? I do not want to have to do this again.

Don't know, but I don't see why not.  I like my hex socket pipe plug idea
better, that's what I've got on the Stag and it works slick.

Randall