Re: Concours judging, sorry for length

To: tr3driver@comcast.net, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Concours judging, sorry for length
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 22:59:15 EDT
In a message dated 6/17/05 7:29:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tr3driver@comcast.net writes:

> And that, IMO, is exactly the reason VTR doesn't release the score sheets.
> It's a good reason, too.
>
> Randall

Hi Guys and Gals,
Not sure where I am coming into this discussion. Sorry I have been very busy
at work running a printing press.

All I can tell you is my experiences.  I first showed my TR6 at a VTR
National Albany, NY in 1989. I also took it to the 6-PACK Trials in
Indianapolis that
year.  I think I received my scoresheet back from 6-PACK but I could not tell
what exactly was wrong from it.  Now, I did the research, talked with Charles
Runyan, Jim Shaw and other TR-6 experts and soon found out where I need to
improve. I did what I could to improve the car and was rewarded with a BOS a
few
years later at a 6-PACK in ST. Louis. Not from scoresheets but from honest
hard work and research and most of all from paying attention to the cars that
were winning.

OK, now I also took the Six to a VTR National in Cincinnati, got a second to
a fine car presented by a good friend.  That was OK, he was better that day. I
got my scoresheet back but it did not help me improve in any way.  I actually
out scored my good friend Jim Shaw with the Six for a first at a VTR National
in Boulder, CO but I fear the judges were wrong in that case. No sheets back
to argue the case.

I have several TRA scoresheets from years of showing my TR3B and TR4 but
honestly I am still learning what is needed to improve not from the sheets but
from doing research and talking to experts who know what is correct. I have
also
seen wide variances in deductions from year to year due to different judges. I
am not complaining because I know the task is difficult.

Bottom Line is I have done well and have many VTR, TRA, 6-PACK Concours
Awards. A BOS in each, some first place, some seconds and some thirds and yes I
have even been zipped. None of my success can be attributed to review of
scoresheets. It can only be attributed to help from my good friends and
research I
have done on my own.

For what it is worth the VTR Rule is not mine but that of my predecessor
George Rabey.  I support it fully.  I also must confess that I was one of those
bitching about deductions when I received my scoresheet in Cincinnati. I am not
proud of that.

As current VTR Chief Judge I will do any thing I can to help anyone who
seriously wants to improve a Triumph for Concours.  I really want to see
Triumphs
restored correctly as original. I am available at wedgeinfo@aol.com for those
in need. I will review any of the VTR scoresheets in the past four years that I
have on record if you have shown in Concours and see if I can help.

Sincerely,
Darrell