TR4A Motor Rebuild

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4A Motor Rebuild
From: "Dave Connitt" <dconnitt@fuse.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 02:39:16 -0400
Boy,
I have been reading the comments regarding the logic/preference to replace
all the connecting rod bolts and now I find out I should replace all the
head studs and nuts too. I ran a nut all the way down the head studs using
my fingers so I assumed they were not stretched. Is this the only test or
should I just replace them? Even though they are expensive, I would rather
spend the money now and not have to do it again later plus buy new gaskets!
I never thought I would spend so much on bolts! Is there a preferred vendor
for these fasteners?
I have rebuilt probably 20 motors so far and never ran into this bolt issue.
OK, one was a Ford Model A, another was my son's Eagle Talon, but none of
them were wet liner British engines...
A friend of mine is planning on rebuilding his TR-250 motor shortly, should
I pass this requirement on to him or is the TR6 motor immune?
I hopefully will be getting my motor parts back in two weeks when I get back
from vacation. Heading off to the Oregon coast Saturday for a week to get
away from the humidity and thunderstorms.
Thanks,
Dave Connitt
'67 TR4A
http://home.fuse.net/davestr4a