Coolant leaks on new engine (TR4A)

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Coolant leaks on new engine (TR4A)
From: "Jeff Tedder" <jtedder68@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 20:42:25 -0700
List,

Well, the newly started engine (rebuilt over the last several years, started
for the first time yesterday) is leaking coolant out of most of the places
it can leak!  However, the one that concerns me the most is the one out of
what appears to be the back of the head gasket.  It's a small drip, but not
a good place for even a small drip.  I think my best bet is to just replace
the head gasket, and see if I have coolant in the cylinder.  However, is
there any way to tell if it's leaking into the cylinder or somewhere else it
isn't supposed to prior to pulling the head off?  The plugs on 3 and 4 look
pretty much the same (black), and I don't see any water in the oil on the
dipstick, but I know that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Also, what's the story on head gaskets?  The head was surfaced and rebuilt,
I checked the head bolt torques, and I am at a loss as to why I'm getting a
leak here.  I suppose it's possible that the top of the block isn't
perfectly flat, but it's also possible that the gasket is no good.  I
sprayed copper gasket sealant on the gasket prior to installation - is there
something else to use that's better?  If and when I take the head off, I
don't want to do it again, so any help is this area is appreciated.

Quite a deflator, especially when this car's been apart for more than 5
years.  At least it runs, but it's not really that much fun to take the
engine apart again multiple times for stupid things (first time I didn't
hook the spring on my rear oil seal conversion seal (but the instructions
didn't say to hook it!!!), and now this head gasket thing).  Again, quite
the deflator - takes the fun out of getting it going.

As always, thanks in advance!

Jeff Tedder

'66 & '67 TR4A