TR3 Vacuum Advance Markings

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3 Vacuum Advance Markings
From: "Bill Brewer" <bbrewer@qnet.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 21:56:00 -0700
     Last December I started a string about a Lucas 25D distributor vacuum
advance markings. I got some good advice, but am still not sure what I have. I
went to the JCNA website and read their stuff, but still didn't find what I
was looking for.
     I have a 25D Lucas distributor. The side markings say 40897, which should
mean that it was for an MGB, I think. It also says 564 on the side, which
should mean that it was made in May of 64. The Vacuum advance on this
distributor says 5-13-10.
     Someone said that I should have a vacuum advance that says 2-6-3.
     The DM2 distributor that was on the car when I bought it has a dead
vacuum advance that's labeled 4-11-7.
     I have a spare vacuum advance that I got off of Ebay (NOS) that the guy
said was for a TR3 and it's marked 4-8-5.

     Can someone tell me what the mechanical advance inside the distributor is
supposed to read? Is it the same for a TR3 as it is for an MGB?
     Does anyone have the right distributor for a TR3 or 4 that has the
correct vacuum advance and mechanical advance that they would part with? I
would be happy with just the vacuum advance part.
     Are these distributors around? I was thinking about trying Triumphs Only
or some other place.
     Does the vacuum advance really make that much difference?
     Any other good websites out there about Lucas vacuum advances?

     My TR3 runs like a banshee, but only gets about 20 mpg. Newly rebuilt
engine, with carbs and timing set right. It didn't get good mileage before the
rebuild either. Something tells me that at least some of my problems are in
the distributor.

     Bill Brewer
     1960 TR3A
     1974 Mini Cooper