TRF and GMB u-joints

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TRF and GMB u-joints
From: "Chris Bohn" <cbohn@sidepipe.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 13:35:39 -0700
So last year I ordered the TRF complete u-joint kit for my 4A.  This includes
6 u-joints for the drive shaft and two half-shafts (the 4A has IRS).  It also
comes with new hardware and some Loctite.  I didn't get around to replacing
all those joints at that time, because I intend to do it with the clutch
replacement. It's like triggers in a database...updating the clutch triggers
all sorts of other updates...

Anyway, I just got to looking at the u-joint kit and noticed that TRF has
supplied me with GMB brand u-joints.  A little searching on the internet has
brought up many opinions on this Far East brand...almost all very negative.
Everyone recommends Spicer as far, far superior.  Also, it seems that SEALED
u-joints are of higher quality and strength.  Yes, that seems
counter-intuitive, but apparently the sealed ones are the ticket.  Being anal
I of course want the best, and being somewhat gullible I bought into the TRF
catalog's claims that they supply "highest quality u-joints" that have grease
fittings so that they are not "sealed for death."  All of this leaves me
highly confused...so I am turning once again to the list for relief.  Does
anyone have an opinion on these GMB u-joints?  Have I once again demonstrated
the Chris (tm) knack for researching a part and then buying the worst possible
option?  I need to get my drive shaft straightened, and I have this sinking
feeling that when I take in these GMB u-joints, the boys at the driveline shop
are going to have one helluva good laugh and I will end up with Spicers.

Did I make a mistake trusting TRF on this?  Did I mention this kit was $$$?

Chris