RE: weird electric fuel pump noises

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <David.Sereda@morganstanley.com>
Subject: RE: weird electric fuel pump noises
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 16:06:49 -0800
> Have any of you listers experienced this 'BB in a spray can'
> noise from an
> electronic fuel pump - and know what it indicates?

I assume you've got a piston-type pump (like the little square Facet that I
like or the electric SU pumps) and the noise you're hearing is the piston
moving very fast.  An air leak on the intake side would do it, or a major
leak on the outlet (but where is the fuel going ?).

Another possibility (more likely IMO) is crud from the tank momentarily
blocking one of the check valves open.

My suggestion after you've checked for leaks is to insert a mesh or sediment
bowl type filter between the pump & the tank.  A paper element filter may
restrict flow enough to be a problem, so I wouldn't suggest it here.  Most
auto parts stores sell a mesh type filter (but be sure to avoid the ones
with plastic end caps, they break easily).

Of course, another alternative is always to convert back to the stock pump,
with the integrated sediment bowl <g>

Randall