Re: Mystery bracket from Spitfire - mystery solved

To: "List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Mystery bracket from Spitfire - mystery solved
From: "Eric K." <tr3a@xs4all.nl>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 18:00:45 +0100 (CET)
On Mon, March 7, 2005 0:11, Graham Stretch said:

> I believe the bracket is the one that fits under the middle bolt on the
> manifold to downpipe joint on the exhaust, the return spring for the
> throttle linkage, the bit with the cable connection and the spindle and
> forks hooks through it, or more correctly the extension rod for the spring
> hooks through it, the spring end attaches to the bell crank hole.
> I know, clear as mud, a pic would be easier, but I cant draw well either!
> 8-)

Graham, you're spot on. I just returned from a large classic car
dealership that always has a few Spitfires in stock. The two 1500's that
still had their original exhaust system had exactly this bracket attached
to an exhaust manifold flange bolt, with a spring and extension rod
running up to the throttle axle bell crank - just as you describe.
So a DPO of my car fitted a tubular manifold (which must have been at
least fifteen years and 25,000 miles ago), therefore had no place to refit
the bracket and left it lying in the muck on top of the chassis.

The only mystery that remains: why has my bracket body colour paint on all
sides? :-/

Cheers,

Eric

--