Re: TR4/4A/250 fresh air vent lid mounting tricks

To: Jeff Tedder <jtedder68@cox.net>
Subject: Re: TR4/4A/250 fresh air vent lid mounting tricks
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@razzolink.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 05:20:57 -0800
> OK - so what's the secret for mounting the fresh air vent lid (the one right
> in front of the windshield)

The item in question is called a scuttle vent. The strip of sheet metal
between the bonnet & windscreen is called the scuttle.

> so the thing actually closes completely?  I
> recall having this problem the last time I replaced the rubber gasket as
> well.  It opens fully fine, but it only closes up until the back of the lid
> is pretty much on the gasket, which leaves the front of it open about 3/8 to
> 1/2"

The process is termed training the seal or gasket (no anchovies needed).
  On Land Rovers that have either a screw type closing mechanism or the
newer pull type with detents to lock the lever into place, you have
someone outside push the vent into the closed position as you operate
the latch and lock it into the fully closed position.  After a couple
weeks the seal develops a dent the shape of the vent lid.  You end up
with better sealing characteristics  this way than if you started out
with a smaller seal.

TR's rely upon friction, leverage and a spring.  You basically push it
closed then add a weight to the scuttle lid that forces the lid edge
into the seal whilst the vehicle is parked.   Just keep a weight on the
scuttle vent lid when you park the car overnight so the seal can form
around the lid's lip.You may need to do this for a week or two.

TeriAnn

www.tjwakeman.net