RE: rear axle alignment

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: rear axle alignment
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 00:29:11 -0800
> well here I am again with the questions....
> I am trying to install the rear axle on the frame, sounds easy, but I
> must be doing something wrong.
> When I get everything all buttoned up one side is slightly higher than
> the other.

I don't recall offhand just when it was introduced, but later cars are
deliberately asymmetric in this area.  There is an extra section in the
passenger's side spring to make the driver's side a bit higher with no one in
the car, so it will be nearly level with only a driver.

> It really does look like a straightforward reinstall, but even looking
> at the rear axle stub for the driveshaft it looks like it is angled too
> low for a good alignment for the shaft.

The pinion shaft should be roughly parallel to the transmission output shaft,
but the driveshaft runs at a distinct angle to them.  The angle at the rear end
should match the angle at the transmission, or the driveline will vibrate.

Make sure it's the driver's side of your frame that is slightly too high, and I
think everything else sounds OK.

Randall