Re: vibration on a 72 TR6 very stock

To: sumton@sbcglobal.net
Subject: Re: vibration on a 72 TR6 very stock
From: "Jay Welch" <jay_welch@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 14:35:21 GMT
Hi Oliver,

I don't think your current problem sounds like tires/wheels but if you suspect
a wheel or tire or combination of either you might want to enlist the help of a
shop that has one of these...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/general/ride_uniformity.jsp

A lot of new vehicles are equipped with tires that should have been rejected
and the dealers just say "Oh they all do it."  This machine has proven many of
the dealers wrong and the tires indeed are in need of replacement.

I'm thinking exhaust.....partly because you didn't do it yourself and my
experiences have not been all that good when farming out work that I didn't
feel like doing.

Did you check the newly assembled joints to see if they were nice and free
prior to install?

Have you tried driving it 65 to 70 MPH in reverse to see if the problem still
exists??? :-)

Enough questions.....
Good luck on the resolution,
Jay Welch, Abington Massachusetts, TR6s (Digest Mode)

-- "oliver" <sumton@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
Hi, all.

I'm back.  there was a terrible vibration in the car at highway speeds, and
you could see a very bad u joint on the drive shaft.

removed the exhaust, pulled the drive shaft, replaced one yoke which was
damaged and the u joints, put the drive shaft back in, and installed a new
exhaust system.  (OK.  i bought the exhaust and let a muffler shop put it
in).

car runs great; little exhaust "break in" smell.

except - up in the 60 to 75 mph, only when decelerating, there is vibration
that you feel in your seat, both driver and passenger.

your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Oliver