TR3A seat stability

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR3A seat stability
From: "McEwen, Art" <Art.McEwen@moh.gov.on.ca>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 11:40:47 -0500
I was wondering if the list has any advice without opening up the Miata seat
debate ;)  I personally find the TR seats comfortable but the more
important/influential factor is that my wife does not.

After riding in the passenger side I can see her point, because the
passenger seat back is hinged and not stiffly attached to the base like the
drivers side there's a side to side wobble that you're constantly fighting
against with your back muscles.   The buckets are old but appear solid and
the nuts and pins where they hinge appear tight, and anyway it appears to be
the metal back that's twisting not the attaching points.

The only thing I can think of would be to:

a)     Spot weld the bucket to the base making it stiffer but preventing it
from hinging (not my first choice).

b)     Fabricating some sort of sheet steel brace in the same shape as the
curve of the seat back and welding it to the back of the bucket (under the
seat fabric) to provide a stiffer material.

Any other suggestions?

Art McEwen