Brake/clutch cylinder inspection criteria

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net> iBOLlqAC003421
Subject: Brake/clutch cylinder inspection criteria
From: "Dean Mericas" <dmericas@limno.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 16:47:50 -0500
I need some guidance on how to judge when hydraulic cylinders should be
resleeved.

I'm rebuilding all of the hydraulics on my TR4 as part of a switch to
silicone fluid.  The brakes were working fine before I tore everything
apart.  The clutch required a couple of pumps after sitting overnight to
take up the slack, but otherwise also worked fine.  There was no significant
leakage, but just enough weepage of brake fluid around the pedal box to
blister my 4-year old paint job, and I decided to nip it in the bud once and
for all.

I've disassembled and cleaned the master cylinders and the clutch slave, and
the bores look pretty good.  No obvious pitting, but if I look real close I
can see some fine scratches along the length of the bores.  The slave has a
barely (and I mean barely) detectible ridge midway along, and only partially
around the bore.  My gut reaction is to just replace all the seals and
reassemble, but I'd like to make sure that I won't be redoing this job in a
year.

Any guidance out there on evaluating the condition of hydraulic cylinder
bores?

Thanks.

Dean Mericas
1965 TR4