How do I slow my winch down?

To: John Mitchell <jmitch@snet.net>
Subject: How do I slow my winch down?
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 09:39:28 -0500
Cc: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, 6 Pack <6pack@Autox.Team.Net> iBLEh7AD026724
Message text written by John Mitchell
>     I purchased a Harbor Freight electric winch (440/880lbs) and
mounted to the bottom of a lolly column in my basement to pull my
engine-less TR6 up a step from my garage, into my basement.  Only
problem is that it pulls a little to fast and was wondering if there's a
way to slow it down without using a pulley arrangement as I wouldn't
have enough cable.  I know there's not much LBC content but you guys
seem to know everything.    Thanks for any help.   John Mitchell  76TR6
<

Is this a 12 volt unit?  If so get a 6 volt battery.  (Know anybody with a
vintage VW?)

Dave