RE: TR2/3/3A Temperature Gauge

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: TR2/3/3A Temperature Gauge
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 14:02:26 -0800
> I have a Jaeger temperature gauge that came with a parts car that I
> acquired as part of my reconstruction project. The gauge itself
> appears to be in good shape, but the attached capillary tube is
> missing the actual temperature probe (broken/cut off?).
>   Is it possible to replace the capillary and probe...there is a
> threaded connection where the capillary enters the gauge...or is it a
> one-piece unit?

Replacing the capillary & probe is beyond the average DIY, they have to be
filled with a precise amount of liquid ether then soldered shut.  The threaded
connection you see is only a nut to hold the mechanism to the gauge housing, it
does not remove the tubing from the gauge.

However there are several places around that can do the job for you.  One is

MO-MA
1321 2nd St NW
Albuquerque, NM 87102
(505) 766-6661

Not cheap (around $100 + shipping last I heard) but the result looks & works
like new.  In effect, they will only do a full restoration of the gauge.  Then
your biggest concern is how shabby all the other gauges look next to it <g>

If you really want to try to do it yourself, somewhere I've seen a web page that
talked about buying another mechanical temp gauge (around $25 at your local auto
parts house); chilling the bulb in dry ice (so all the ether winds up liquid in
the bulb) and then cutting & splicing the capillary tubes back together with the
bulb still chilled.  Haven't tried it myself, but sounds like it could work.
But keep in mind that the ether is very volatile, quite flammable and has a
flash point well below room temperature.  (How far depends on which ether it is,
the stuff once used for anesthetic has a flash point of -35F.)  Ether is
dangerous to store, as it can combine with oxygen to form unstable peroxides
that can spontaneously explode.  The vapor doesn't mix easily with air, so it
can run along the floor and find remote ignition points, like a water heater
pilot light.

Like the sign said, Here There Be Dragons.  You have been warned.

Randall Y