RE: TR3 ignition mystery demystifyed

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: TR3 ignition mystery demystifyed
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 21:13:22 -0500
On 13 Dec 2004 at 10:55, Greg_Hutmacher@i2.com wrote:

> I've seen enough of these cautionary emails about random
> failures of electronic ignitions that I don't think I would
> ever want to install one.

Hmmph.  When I bought my Spitfire it had the Lucas CEI kit installed,
apparently as a repair by a previous PO (in this case not so D).  The
only time it ever didn't work was after the engine rebuild was
finished (maybe 15 years ago) it wouldn't fire.  We opened up the
little metal box marked "Do Not Open" and inside we found a GM
ignition module.  One of the mechanics had a spare he had purchased
for his truck.  We stuck it in and it has performed flawlessly ever
since.  GM does some things rather well, this being one of 'em,
apaprently.  One of the benefits of a breakerless ignition is that
the timing NEVER changes.  Also there is no dwell to set.  Until I
picked up the GT6 I could've thrown away my timing light.  I grieve
when I think of all the fun I've missed by not having to do such a
simple task for so long. :-)

Just my $.007.

--
Jim Muller