Re: Flywheel:How lite is too lite?

To: "John Mitchell" <jmitch@snet.net>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Flywheel:How lite is too lite?
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 23:42:50 -0600
> I've obtained
> a wheel lightened to about 12lbs.   Is this too lite for street use?
> What kind of problems , if any can I expect.

I don't have a clue if 12 pounds is too light for a TR6, but I do know what
happens if you have too light a flywheel in a car.  It is very difficult to
smoothly start the car up from rest.  This can be annoying and also cause
more clutch wear.  Not a problem for SCCA-type road racing, where standing
starts are not used.

Acceleration is the goal, and rotating mass is one of the enemies.  Lighter
wheels and tires help, and they don't make the car harder to get off the
dime.

Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
1970 Lotus Europa 65/2597, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1993 Suburban, 1962 TR4 CT2846L
pethier@isd.net  http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.lotusowners.com
"TOOLS?  Hell, any fool can work with tools.  It takes a real mechanic to
work with this junk." -Orv Ethier, 1921-2004.  First Shot Naval Vets, Pearl
Harbor Survivor.