RE: International postage question (Shipping parts, no LBC but car part

To: "'Barry Schwartz'" <v6spitfireguy@cox.net>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: International postage question (Shipping parts, no LBC but car parts)
From: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 16:06:12 -0700
Cc: <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
-----Original Message-----
From: spitfires-owner@autox.team.net
[mailto:spitfires-owner@autox.team.net] On Behalf Of Barry Schwartz
Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2004 2:38 PM
To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Cc: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: International postage question (Shipping parts, no LBC but car
parts)

I just sold an item (intake manifold) on eBay, an I am curious as to the
postage rates I was quoted.  The box measures 28" x 10" x 4" and weigh
in
at 11 lbs.  It was won by someone in Germany, who is quite anxious to
get
it.  However, I was quoted $134 for UPS and USPS which didn't ask for
any
zip info or address, just a country to be shipped to) listed the
shipping
for $25 surface (4-6 weeks) or $40 for a little faster time of 4-10
days.
This seem to be quite a difference in price which makes me wonder - Has
anybody sent anything overseas via USPS and were there additional
charges
which I will incur that I am not getting off the USPS web site??
Hummm....
Barry Schwartz (San Diego)

I have shipped Camber Compensators to Europe and can say that USPS is
the preferred method of shipment if they are not in a big hurry.  The CC
weighs about the same as your package and I charge a $35.00 fee for
shipping to anywhere in Europe.  They quote up to 6 weeks delivery, but
I have always experienced quicker delivery than that.

The gotcha is that shipping to some countries can't be insured.  But so
far I have not had any loss so I think it is pretty safe.

The total charges are assessed at the shipping point.  But there could
be possible customs charges due on delivery depending on the country.
If you document the parts properly it should not be a problem.  Mark
them as "Used Antique auto parts country of origin UK".

Regards,
Joe