RE: Headlamp flashers, fly-off brakes - origins (longish)

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Headlamp flashers, fly-off brakes - origins (longish)
From: "StevesTR" <StevesTR@veroquest.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 09:45:32 -0800
When I visited San Jose, Costa Rica; Everyone seemed to drive around
with the gas peddle floored all the time so passing was accomplished by
whichever car happened to go marginally faster (they were all cars with
small engines). The flash-to-pass headlights seemed to mean: "Look out,
I am passing you right now!" so the style was for them to flicker them
very quickly.

As another non-LBC aside, they had a interesting traffic management
system. They basically ignored the municipal traffic light systems and
instead paid attention to the pedestrians in the traffic crossings. If
the pedestrians were in a crossing parallel to a given car, that meant
that there was no cross traffic and so they would keep the gas floored
through the intersection without respect to the color of the traffic
light. It all seemed to work in an odd way. This was the late 80's so
maybe it has changed by now.