TR6 exhausting posts, language

To: "Kai M. Radicke" <kradicke@wishboneclassics.com>, Triumph <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, tr3driver@comcast.net
Subject: TR6 exhausting posts, language
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 09:52:21 -0700
Kai and friends, I'll breaking a personal rule to post on the flaming
TR6 exhaust thread. My seven year old is starting to use email and I
share some Triumph messages with him. In a couple years he'll likely be
subscribed himself. I'm usually proud to have been part of this online
community for long enough to recognize the winter trend towards ugly
threads. But I'm embarassed to think I might have to set up filters for
him in what ought to be a safe forum of friends. I'd rather he learn bad
language from The Simpsons than from this list.

I recently joined a Mercedes email list that has incredible volume and
allows off-topic posts -- yet somehow they manage to maintain an
admirable level of civility and friendship.  Partly it's because the
founder/admin ends threads that are going bad, and he kicks
rule-breakers off  immediately. I've cut-and-pasted below the rules that
help keep that list worth reading even with around 100 mostly off-topic
messages a day. They're not Triumph list rules but I kind of wish they
were. Kai and Randall, I hope you'll both give them some thought and
remember #9 for Ben's sake. Thanks.

Steven Newell
Littleton, CO
'62 TR4, '66 Volvo 122S estate, '76 MB 240 x 2, '71 MB 250C

----------------------------

 From http://business.baylor.edu/Richard_Easley//mercedes/listrules.html

4. No flaming of any kind. This does not mean kidding around with
others, which is encouraged. The quick flip of a one liner here and
there provides regular members a great laugh. The reparth of the past
was one of the best parts of other lists in which we have been
participants. In essence, we're friends on this list with a common
denominator being MB automobiles

5. No profanity. This includes such things as "fillers" (e.g., fil***s,
using the previous word as an example) which convey the intended word.

6. Fraudulent, harassing or obscene messages and/or materials are not to
be sent to the list.

9. Finally, the "family" filter. We want list members to be able to show
messages from this list to anybody. Our desire is that your spouse,
daughter, son, mother, or father will be able to read any of the
messages from this list and not be embarrassed at the content. The mores
and ethics of life are quite well understood by most people.
Resultingly, most of the information above is redundant to most
potential subscribers to this list. We hope to have one of the best
"electronic coffee rooms" of individuals on the Internet, united by a
common denominator (Mercedes-Benz automobiles) and bonded together by
mutual respect. Need some tech info? Pose a question to our list or
check the archive. Need a giggle? Then drop in, have a cup, read a few
and back to work.