Re: TR3 Wiper Motor Mounting Kit http://netwinsite.com/top_mail.htm

To: bbrewer@qnet.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR3 Wiper Motor Mounting Kit http://netwinsite.com/top_mail.htm
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 12:25:01 -0600
>     I am mounting the wiper motor on my 1960 TR3A. I ordered the mounting
kit
>from TRF. My question is the rubber mounting grommets. It has a groove in
it
>that looks like it should somehow fit through the hole in the mounting
base
>with half of the grommet on top and half on the bottom, but it looks
>impossible to do. Should I cut the grommet in half and put half on the
bottom?

Only as a very last resort.

>It doesn't look like the whole grommet should go on top.

Not likely.

>What have other listers done?

Grommets can be daunting.  Check the diameter at the bottom of the groove
and see if it is close to the diameter of the hole.

Get a pan of hot dishwater with lots of soap, as hot as you can stand it.
Soak the grommet until it gets softer.  Quickly stuff the first edge in the
hole and then work your way around the groove with a proper tool.  I have a
screwdriver with rounded edges.  It is useless as a screwdriver, but seems
to work for grommets without slashing them.

You might also consider a serious de-burring of the hole in the sheet
metal.  If the edges of the hole are rounded, the grommet will slide more
easily and the hole will be less likely to damage the grommet.  A
hand-application of a countersink might be a good start.

>     Bill Brewer
>     Tehachapi, California

Have you been to Tonapah?

Sorry.  You must be getting tired of that one, but  I just couldn't pass it

Phil Ethier