RE: TR2 Telescoping Steering Column

To: "Dan Scharpf" <dfscharpf@yahoo.com>, "Triumph_List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: TR2 Telescoping Steering Column
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 05:41:57 -0800
> By piecing
> together the two pieces the total length of this inner tube was
> 61-5/16". I bought some stock tubing (3/8" OD) and cut it to this
> length and then cut in the 1.75"  slot for the control head connection.

Oops, I glossed over the slot length before ... 1.75" is way too short for an
adjustable steering wheel.  The slot has to accommodate the entire range of
motion of the wheel, plus the length of the dimples in the control head stub.  I
think 1.75" is too short even for a non-adjustable wheel.

There also the problem that the ID of your stock tubing is likely smaller than
the original thinwall tubing, which is going to make it very difficult to run
wires to the control head.

Randall Y