RE: gaskets vs sealants?

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: gaskets vs sealants?
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 18:58:15 -0800
> I recently replaced a valve cover seal since it was leaking. Of course,
> now it leaks as much as ever, even with proper torquing and a new
> gasket.
>
> Are people strictly using silcone type gasket sealers nowadays, or is
> there some disadvantage to those?

The big disadvantage to silicone sealers is that they tend to form a bead
inside, that can break off and form strings that find their way into places you
don't want them.  Just one of the reasons I prefer Hylomar.

Check the sealing surface on your rocker cover with a straightedge, as most of
them are distorted after all these years.  Also make sure you don't have
excessive blowby and that your crankcase ventilation system is up to snuff.
Because of the large surface area, the slightest pressure in the crankcase will
literally blow the cover up off the head and make sealing impossible.

When all that is right, get one (or two) of Justin's rocker cover gaskets.
http://www.jmwagnersales.com/T6SiliconeGasket.htm
They're pricey, but worth every penny.  And since they are reusable essentially
infinitely if you're careful, they will pay for themselves.

If you can't afford one of Justin's gaskets, then I suggest 'gluing' the cork
gasket to the rocker cover with Permatex "Aviation form a gasket" and smearing
the other face with Hylomar.  This will give you about the best shot possible at
sealing, plus allow the gasket to be reused a few times.

Randall Y
- Just got home with TS13571L, now I've got to find room in the garage for it.