RE: Dangerous tools

To: "Bob Rochlin" <r_rochlin@hotmail.com>, "Triumphs" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Dangerous tools
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 18:27:00 -0800

I just finished the A&P (airframe & powerplant) Mechanics
program at a local community college, and I spent several
months as an intern at a repair station working on 727s
and 737s. The most common horror story had to do with
unexpectadly-activated hydraulic systems, and large,
moving components. These systems have little to do with
LBC brakes and clutches. They are power systems driven by
the jet engines or an APU, generating 3000 psi to the landing
gear and various control surfaces. One mistake can leave
someone dead or dismembered in a fraction of a second.

The worst story was about a guy who had a 727 landing
gear door closed on him. He was never Quite Right after
that. It happened because the guy working "safety" on
the floor wasn't doing his job, and he gave the guy in
the cockpit the OK to activate the system.

-Mark
 1954 TR2